Skip to main content

Filling up the creative well when you are struggling....


Maya Angelou famously said “You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” but I am sure I am not alone in not struggling with the concept, especially at the moment.


Anyone who knows me personally will know that I have battled with my mental health for over half my life and despite an amazing support circle, the right medication and a whole toolbox of tools, sometimes my mood just dips that little bit lower than normal and despite a real urge to create (something, anything !!!) nothing appears. 

I am by no means an expert and I sat here writing this rather than creating, so read into that as you may, but there are a few things I have been doing recently to try a keep my creative spark alive until something clicks and I can spend a few hours creating for me again.

1. Keeping up with my favourite creators on Social Media

Dina Wakley is a huge inspiration of mine after first seeing her  on YT a few years ago, and she has been so generous with her time during the whole pandemic. At the start of the year she was hosting daily lives on her Facebook specific topics (from her products to art styles to dealing with specific concerns), later adding in regular online classes to her schedule and she has now set up a supporters hub which for only $5 a month has been a huge source of inspiration (think Patreon but on facebook).

My favourite free tutorial thus far has been her 'White Space' tutorial and my favourite paid for class has been "Beyond the Black Ink Pad"

Her tutorials have inspired a whole journal full of work that I will treasure





2. Being inspired by those with similar interests 

Having found an artist whose style I really admire in Dina I have found it fun to try and curate my social media circles (facebook , Youtube and IG) around people who are also inspired by Dina.

This is especially interesting as Dina has a product line and given she designed it she obviously uses it in specific ways but put it in the hands of other creatives, the possibilites are endless.

Ranger Ink (who release Dina's products ) aslso have a project section which great for gleaning inspiracyopn, 

Through the project section I found Megan Whisner Quinlan who I now follow on IG and Youtube as her tutorials (in both places) are fantastic.

She has an IGTV tutorial on watercolour botanicals and these have become my goto when I just need to move my hands.

I also am a member of the Dina Wakley Media Kindred Artists facebook group and the artwork that is shared there on a daily basis is phenomenal. 

From the facebook group i found two fantastic YouTubers  Niamh Baly and Shannon from BA Creative who both have completely different styles yet they use the same products.

I have used Dina as an example throughout this but the same can be applied to most artists if you look.


3. Trying something new 

I posted back in April about the #standwithsmall movement and at the time I suggested I wanted to try embroidery and weaving to complement my art journalling.  So over the last few months, I have done just that.

My weaving has started small with small pieces being either woven directly into my journals or added ontop of a background but I hope to grow this practice with time.



To date, I have invested a bit more time and money into learning to embroider and I am having so much fun learning a completely new skill.

I have mainly been using kits, and my favourite kits to date have been from Wild Floss Embroidery on Etsy as the results (even for me as a beginner) are just beautiful.



How do you keep your creative well full? I would love to know so please share your favourite tips and tricks and links to your own social media as I love finding new people to follow.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Etsy : The perfect place for a unique Advent Calendar

Over the past few years, I have shared with you my favourite unique Christmas cards, stocking fillers and tree decorations, all available from Etsy This year I want to share my favourite advent calendars. Maybe like me, your children are growing up and so they will appreciate a unique advent calendar for the treat it is, or maybe you would like the joy your family members get from opening their gifts to extend beyond the one day, or perhaps (also like me)  you just want to treat yourself a little bit. The possibilities with Etsy really are endless, and there are many more options than those that I am sharing, so I would highly encourage everyone to grab a cup of their favourite hot beverage and spend a fun 30 minutes persuing these sellers, and many more besides that. For the foodies, I have a list of food-based calendars  that contain items such as pork scratching and cheddar cheese, alongside those containing the more traditional chocolate options.  Cheesies Advent Calendar £32.50

Get That Glow // Highlighters with a twist

Gone are the days that highlighting was left to the professional makeup artists on magazine shoots. Now highlighting is a day to day occurrence for most of us I love that the trend has evolved enough to provide those of us who don't want a gold champagne shimmer. Some of us are aiming for extraterrestrial realness (maybe that's just me) so the colours now available are perfect and when they come in a palette as beautiful as the  Blacklight Highlight - 6 Color Palette from BH Cosmetics (and for only $16.99 !!!) you really can't go wrong. Whilst I try and sort the area in my room for shooting beauty pictures I thought I would share just a few of the items on my highlight wishlist. Are there any highlighters on your wishlist at the moment? Tessa 

Etsy Holiday Gift Guide #1 Christmas cards

It is clear by now to anyone who knows me that I LOVE Etsy and it is always my first port of call if I need to purchase something specific or even if I just want to window shop. With Christmas on the horizon, my love for Etsy deepens as it is, in my opinion, the best place to get unique and personal Christmas presents. Over the next few weeks I will be sharing som e of my favourite Christmas present picks , which Etsy have already started doing over on the  Etsy Editors' Pick's page , but for today I wanted to share some of my favourite Christmas cards. If you have never shopped on Etsy before and wanted to dip your toes into the water before investing in a bigger piece, purchasing a Christmas card would be the ideal way to start. Nowhere on the internet or the high street will you get such amazing selection. Whether you want funny or soppy or pop culture based or even vaguely scary (I'm thinking Krampus cards) Etsy will have your back. He